subscribe

Enter your email address:

8/9/09

Budget DIY Kitchen Redo - Part 1, Cabinet Refinishing


I was tired of looking at our plain old kitchen, with its 90's oak kitchen cabinets and green laminate counter tops with faux wood trim. I have been wanting a French Country kitchen for quite some time and decided that now is the time to do something about it!

I began the project by painting and glazing the cabinets. The photo to the left shows one of the cabinets before the makeover. After removing the hardware, I washed them down with detergent and water. After allowing them to dry, I lightly sanded them with a 150-grit sanding block, wiping afterward with a tack cloth. After taping off nearby areas to protect them, I gave the cabinets two coats of Behr Ivory Eggshell Enamel Ultra Premium Plus Interior Paint as a base.






After the last coat on the cabinets had dried, I lightly sanded the edges, then began applying the glaze with a brush. It seemed a bit too dark, so I added some of the base color to it. After applying the glaze to the cabinets in sections, I rubbed it off with a rag, then randomly dry-brushed some of the base coat over it in spots to soften the effect.










This is what the finish looks like close up. I am very pleased with the result.

Now that the cabinets are done, I can move on to the rest of the projects.
Keep in mind this kitchen redo is definitely being done on a tight budget. I have ordered some new oil rubbed bronze hardware for the cabinets, which are pictured below. I am waiting for them to arrive.











Here are some of the other finishes I have chosen for the kitchen. I am considering antiquing these inexpensive copper backsplash tiles, so they look similar to the photo on the right. I am going to try it on one tile first, to see how it looks. The beadboard, which is actually paintable wallpaper, will be used on the front of the breakfast bar. I will add two corbels beneath the counter, one on each side, after applying the wallpaper. The beadboard wallpaper and the corbels will be painted and glazed to match the cabinets. I have also ordered some new faux painting products to achieve the look of some of the additional finishes I would like in the kitchen.

Be sure to check back here in the coming days for photos of the progress of the kitchen redo.

Thanks for stopping by!




Thanks to Susan of Between Naps on the Porch, for hosting Metamorphosis Monday. Be sure to visit her blog for great ideas and for links to other participant entries.



CheapOair.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin