Broccoli cheddar soup is a family favorite at our house. It taste great served with calzone (pictured) or in a bread bowl, like they do at Panera Bread. This particular recipe is lower in fat and calories than traditional broccoli cheddar soup recipes but is just as tasty!
- 1/4 cup Promise Lite margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon flakes or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 8 ounces Sargento reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Add water to a medium saucepan; add chicken bouillon. Add chopped broccoli and cover; cook according to the package directions. Reduce heat to low.
- In a stockpot, make a roux by melting margarine over medium heat, then whisking the flour into the melted margarine until it has dissolved.
- Add milk to the roux and whisk. Continue heating on medium, stirring frequently until mixture has thickened. Add cumin and pepper. Reduce heat to low; stir until cheese until melted. Remove the stockpot from heat.
- Stir broccoli and chicken broth mixture into stockpot. Serve immediately.
Thanks to Michael Lee, of Designs by Gollum, for hosting Foodie Friday. Be sure to visit Michael's blog for more tasty recipes.